As a Primary Stroke Center, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg offers comprehensive treatment from emergency care to rehabilitation, and features advanced evaluation, neuro-imaging, interventional neuroradiology and clot-dissolving treatments.
Prompt care is crucial in treating stroke patients. In the emergency department, our stroke care team quickly assembles the a team of health care professionals and medical technology for the most positive outcomes, including minimally invasive clot-busting technology.
At Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, you can count on:
- Speed – Treatments given during the first three hours after a stroke can greatly reduce or even reverse the effects of stroke, so our stroke care professionals are ready to jump into action immediately.
- Knowledge - Our doctors, nurses, emergency professionals and other specialists meet high educational standards, and are specially trained to identify stroke symptoms and administer the latest treatments.
- Technology – Our stroke care team utilizes advanced testing and imaging technology, allowing them to identify the type of stroke within minutes so they are able to begin treatment. Our 64-slice CT scanner provides the necessary speed and resolution required for rapid imaging of blood vessels in the brain, so doctors can begin treatment as quickly as possible.
Bayfront Health St. Petersburg is a Primary Stroke Center with the Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission. Our trained stroke care team is delivers potentially life-saving care for ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, and can perform minimally invasive treatment options, including:
- Angioplasty and stent placement to open blocked arteries and veins
- Embolizing agents (clotting medications) delivered by catheter to stop blood flow resulting from hemorrhagic strokes
- Thrombolitic therapy deliver clot-dissolving medicine to treat ischemic strokes
- Minimally invasive surgery to remove a clot, or repair arteries and veins
The Primary Stroke Center certification designates hospitals with advanced technology, infrastructure, staff and training to receive and treat patients of all ages with all types of strokes. As a Primary Stroke Center, we:
- Are prepared to treat all types of strokes quicker than non-designated hospitals
- Provide 24/7 stroke team access
- Utilize advanced imaging technology and protocols
- Offer seamless integration with the ER
Care Through Recovery
Offering the full continuum of care, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg's rehabilitation services provides a full range of inpatient and outpatient programs for stroke patients. Patients work to regain their independence under the care of a multidisciplinary team of skilled physicians, therapists, speech language pathologists, nurses and psychologists.