Since 1995, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg has provided postgraduate medical education training in primary care sports medicine. This one-year, ACGME-accredited fellowship trains fellows in the assessment and management of medical issues uniquely related to athletes and active persons.
Our fellows have the opportunity to serve as team physicians for the University of South Florida (NCAA Division I) and Eckerd College (NCAA Division II). Completion of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program leads to board eligibility for a certificate of added qualification (CAQ) in sports medicine by the American Board of Family Medicine.
For more information, contact:
700 6th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
To educate primary care physicians in the art and science of managing medical conditions unique to athletes at all levels of participation and to graduate physicians who will become leaders in advancing the specialty of sports medicine.
• A focus on the team physician model in providing a framework and an understanding of athletes’ medical needs
• Extension of mutual respect to athletic trainers, coaches and team physicians whose top priorities are the health and well-being of each and every athlete
• Encouraging the pursuit of academic advancement and continual learning in the specialty of sports medicine
• A commitment to the highest level of excellence and unwavering ethics in delivering evidence-based sports medicine care
• Supporting the development of our sports medicine physicians to serve as educators to athletes, trainers, coaches and other physicians and students
• An openness to innovative and flexible options in managing the multifaceted factors that are involved in meeting an athlete’s healthcare needs
A multidisciplinary educational program in primary care sports medicine with experience in managing athletes of all ages and levels from high school and amateur to Division I collegiate and professional. Graduates will represent the future of sports medicine and be prepared to lead the specialty in academic research and deliver a high standard of clinical care in sports medicine.